Friday, May 6, 2011

Uptown Street Portraits 5/6/2011


About a week ago I watched this great video on youtube about doing street portraits.  I finally got the courage up to give it a try.  It was a blast!  I look forward to doing more of these.  I taped a piece of black velvet to the wall of a building that gave me some open shade and then I asked whomever passed if they wanted to be photographed.  Of the 9 people I asked only one declined.  That is a way higher success rate than I had planned on.  The guy in the first shot works at Sunrise Cyclery and has a supercool mustache. Oh, if you are in one of these shots please email me I would love to get you the file. More shots after the break. 

  



This guy was going to hang up his call so I could shoot him, but I let him keep talking.

This guy was a recent immigrant from Japan and was looking for a pawn shop.  I wish I could have helped him.  I have never needed a pawn shop so I didn't know where one was.








2 comments:

  1. Great pictures! What a creative idea, Mike. Glad you had so many takers and such variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sonja, I was really surprised by how willing people were to have me photograph them. I watched another vid by Clay Enos, the guy who inspired me to do this and he said that having a little set up makes the whole process less intimidating for folks. Because it is not a sneaky candid and they can to some extent what you are trying to achieve. I highly recommend trying it. Super fun! I can't wait to give it another go. Next time I am going to set up a white background.

    ReplyDelete